Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spring is the season to re-paint

Nothing motivates you to paint your infantry like a tournament, and with lock and load approaching, this is the perfect time to update the look of some of the units making it to the tables.

First off, the Stormblades. This unit has probably made the most appearances on my lists (bar perhaps the Precursor Knights), and yet, it had the most obsolete paint scheme of all. I inherited my Stormblades when I purchased a second hand battlebox, when I was inducted into Warmachine. Half of them were painted Cygnar blue and gold, and I simply finished painting the rest of them. Later on when I painted the Thunderhead, I settled into my personal color scheme for Cygnar: cygnar blue highlight, dwarf bronze metals, golden yellow emblems, and tons of white to complement the blue.

Now, finally a match to the rest of the Storm Knights:




Lastly, the Arcane Tempest Gun Mages. I have no one to blame for this one but myself. This was the first "new" unit I ever purchased and the first one I painted  (and a good reference to how much I have improved as a painter). Due to some wrong information I received from an old player, I painted them Ultramarines blue, thinking it was the same color as Cygnar blue. In fact, my entire battlebox was painted Ultramarines blue for a long time.

Sadly, this was not the last of an ongoing list of bad painting decisions. When I painted eCaine, I wanted his colors to reflect his status as a rogue warcaster, so I opted for Shadow Gray instead of Cygnar blue. Then, of course, his battlegroup (one defender and two hunters) needed to match. By now, all my ranged 'jacks are shadow gray, and so are a few Gun Mage solos. Accordingly, I updated the ATGM to match:


Currently, my army is composed of cygnar blue and white storm-nouns, and shadow gray gun mages (and a custom white and green Morrowan army!). This is mostly fine, since my lists rarely involve both of these types of unit together, but it does happen, and it makes me regret not sticking to one color scheme from the beginning. Hindsight is 20:20...

2 comments:

  1. How are the gun mages treating you? Mine kicked ass in their one game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good for objective games. Specially when they have support from a Cyclone. I don't think they have the kick to take on other units or jacks though.

      Delete